When it comes to write an essay, many students need help. They look for how to make an essay longer because they lack some words or paragraphs.
These formatting tips work equally well on Google Docs and Microsoft Word. By using them, you will be able to double the length of your paper without adding a single word so you will know how to make you’re an essay longer.
Here are some tricks on how to make an essay longer:
- Pick a larger font. All too often, professors do not specify which font you are allowed to use. That’s your golden opportunity! Select a bulkier font such as Arial, Cambria, or Bangla Sangam MN. If, however, paper writing instructions call for Times New Roman, you can choose a similarly looking yet more voluminous Bookman Old Style font.
- Adjust the font size. This trick is as easy as it is obvious. Most essay instructions mention 12 pt. font. Try adjusting the essay font to slightly larger 12.1, 12.3, or even 12.5.
- Increase the spacing. This trick requires lots of audacity and fingers crossing because its results are somewhat conspicuous. To beef up your paper, try increasing the spacing ever so slightly. If the instructions call for single or double spacing add .1 to their size. To this end, open Format menu and click the Paragraph option. Then, go to Line Spacing and select Multiple. Once there, type 1.1 or 2.1 into the box.
- Increase the bottom margin. By making the bottom margin larger, you’ll make your essay seem larger. Go to the Format menu and select the Document section. In the Bottom box, enter 1.25. The margin increase might be too noticeable.
- Increase the character spacing. Expand the distance between words in your essay to give it some length. It can be done in the Font menu. Once there, select the Advanced submenu and go to the Spacing options. Then, choose Expand and enter 1.5 into the box.
- Beef up the essay’s header. Include seemingly useful information into the header to enlarge it. It can be your and instructor’s names, the date, the course title and code number, your email, student ID, etc. The more information you add, the beefier your essay will be.
- Expand contractions. This one is also a requirement: write out contractions. For example, instead of writing it’s or can’t, go for it is and cannot.